Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Wheat Pasta or Regular?


So, I've switched from eating regular (white) spaghetti to whole wheat spaghetti about two years ago in effort to live a healthier lifestyle.  Previous to the switch, I was weary that the whole wheat pasta would taste cardboard.  Much to my surprise, I enjoyed it more than the regular pasta.  The whole wheat pasta has a richer, more hearty taste.  The only downfall when cooking the whole wheat pasta vs. the regular, is the fact that its substantially less forgiving.  What I mean by this, is if you happen to over cook by even a couple minutes, the whole wheat pasta virtually turns to mush.  Thats a drop in the bucket compared to the qualities of the whole wheat pasta.  More than twice the fiber is found in whole wheat pasta, which helps regulate our digestive systems.  Studies show that most people need to incorporate more fiber into their diets. Whole wheat pasta also lowers cholesterol, which directly leads to a healthier heart.  
There you have it, if you regularly eat regular pasta, try switching it up and go for the whole wheat pasta.  Also, a healthier alternative to those rich sauces is extra virgin olive oil.  Saute some minced garlic in olive oil and mix with the pasta.  You won't be disappointed.

P.S.  I eat Heartland Whole Wheat spaghetti.  I'm sure any whole wheat brand will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment